Safety is the most important feature to consider when choosing a car seat. Whether you are buying the first seat to bring your newborn home, a portable seat to move between vehicles or a versatile seat that will grow with your child, it’s important to choose the safest product. One of the best safety options for car seats is an ISOFIX car seat.
With all the great options on the market, it can be difficult to find a great balance between safety, comfort and affordability. Take a look at all the best rated ISOFIX car seats, compare and contrast your favorite choices and have all your questions answered with a helpful FAQ list.
What Is ISOFIX?
The International Standards Organization, or ISOFIX, is an international set of regulations that helps ensure only the safest car seats are sold. The term ISOFIX is far more common in Europe, so you may not see American car seats advertised as ISOFIX products.
ISOFIX car seats use the metal brackets at the base of the seat to secure to your vehicle rather than using a standard seat belt. These specially designed brackets can keep your car seat more firmly in place. Most cars have been equipped with ISOFIX fittings since 2006.
In the USA, these fittings are more commonly referred to as the latch system. There are several different variations of car seats that use the metal connectors, and some are easier to use than others. Compare each car seat and connection system before choosing the best car seat for your family.
How Do I Install an ISOFIX Car Seat?
Check your individual car seat for detailed instructions, and be sure to read the entire owner’s manual. ISOFIX car seats use a variety of connection techniques. Most use an adjustable belt with two latches. This system is the most common, but it is also the most difficult to tighten properly. You want to make sure your car seat can’t move more than 1 inch in any direction.
Other ISOFIX car seats have upgraded their system and use a push-to-connect feature. Simply line the two arms up with the metal brackets in your seat and push firmly until you hear a click. Premium car seats have this handy feature, which makes installation far easier. However, it also adds weight to your car seat, so it may not be the most convenient option if you are looking to carry your car seat or travel on an airplane with it.
How We Reviewed
With hundreds of car seats available, it’s extremely difficult to choose the best rated ISOFIX car seats. We carefully chose this list based on a number of important factors. First, all products on this list are ISOFIX car seats. Second, they each received high customer ratings and thorough customer reviews. Finally, each one received great scores on professional reviews. You don’t have to take our word for it; read through the customer reviews and use the comparison table to choose your favorite car seat.
Car seats can vary dramatically in price depending on the features, safety ratings and comfort levels. This list has a wide range of prices, so consider your budget and the features you want most in your product. The best ISOFIX car seats range from $129.99 to $349.99.
Inexpensive options have a latch system that can be difficult to install, and they don’t often include additional convenience features. You’ll need to rethread straps in order to remove the car seat cover or adjust the car seat, which can be time-consuming. Affordable car seats are typically more lightweight, but they don’t have as much padding.
Expensive car seats are designed to be easier to install and more comfortable for your child while having added safety features. However, they can be bulkier and heavier, and they don’t always offer a wider weight range.
Top 10 ISOFIX Car Seats
Evenflo Triumph LX Convertible Car Seat
- This Convertible Car Seat helps protect rear facing infants from 5-40 pounds and forward facing toddlers from 22-65...
- Evenflo's proprietary e3 Side Impact Protection significantly reduces side impact crash forces up to 50% through 3...
- Quick Connector Latch System allows you to quickly and safely move this convertible car seat around multiple vehicles
The most affordable ISOFIX car seat on the list is a convertible seat that offers a great range of convenient features. This roomy car seat is a great option if you want plenty of features for a great price.
The Triumph LX can be used in both front-facing and rear-facing positions. It uses a basic latch system, however, which can be difficult to install securely. The five-point harness uses a knob to adjust, which is easy to use as your child grows.
This seat comes with two cup holders and an infant insert. It can recline, but some customers feel it doesn’t recline far enough to be comfortable for newborns, and it’s heavier than other affordable car seats. Many customers love the ease of use and comfortable padding of this inexpensive car seat.
Graco 4Ever 4-In-1 Convertible Car Seat
No products found.
The Graco 4Ever is an incredibly flexible car seat that will keep your child safe for years to come. It’s the most expensive all-in-one seat, but it offers more options, a better reclining system and comfortable straps.
Whether your child is 10 days or 10 years old, you’ll have peace of mind with the Graco safety features. The infant and toddler seat has side-impact protection, and you can use the product as a backless booster seat. Six different reclining positions allow your little one to ride comfortably whether awake or asleep.
Customers love the convenience and safety of this excellent car seat. However, some customers feel the rear-facing design is difficult to install properly, and the seat is heavier overall than other convertible car seats.
Graco Size4Me 65 Convertible Car Seat
- Convertible Graco car seat keeps your forward-facing toddlers harnessed from 20 65 lbs.
- Rigorously crash tested to meet or exceed U.S. safety standards
- Simply Safe Adjust Harness System a one hand, no re-thread harness that automatically adjusts
While the Size4Me has a smaller weight range than all-in-one car seats, this affordable seat is incredibly easy to adjust, comfortable and reasonably affordable. Consider this option if you are tired of rethreading straps as your child grows but don’t want to pay over $200 for an ISOFIX car seat.
Choose from a variety of understated color options and enjoy the additional padding for your infant’s head and the seat’s straps. Both the headrest and harness can adjust to eight different positions very easily. Whether you use this seat in rear-facing or forward-facing positions, your child will be safeguarded with side-impact protection.
While customers love the easy harness adjustment feature, some customers don’t like the bulky frame. Some also feel the car seat is made with less durable material than other, more premium car seats.
Safety 1st Grow and Go 3-In-1 Convertible Car Seat
- Built to grow: The 3 in 1 car seat built to grow for extended use through 3 stages: Rear facing 5 40 pounds, forward...
- Side impact protection: The grow and go’s side impact protection helps keep your child safe
- Easy in, easy out: Harness holders keep the harness in an open position so it is easy to get your child in and out of...
The Safety 1st Grow and Go is one of the most inexpensive all-in-one car seats, which makes it the most cost-effective car seat on the list. You’ll enjoy excellent safety and reasonable convenience for years to come. From a rear-facing option for newborns to a booster seat feature for children, this car seat is built to last.
While the five-point harness isn’t as easily adjustable as those in most car seats, the harness holders are great for easily placing your child in the seat. This product is more compact than many all-in-one car seats, so your child will have more leg room in a forward-facing position. Some customers, however, miss the convenient features of a more expensive car seat, such as an easily adjustable harness or a reclining feature.
Evenflo Symphony Elite All-In-One Convertible Car Seat
- THE ULTIMATE ALL-IN-ONE CAR SEAT: The Evenflo Symphony Elite All-in-One Convertible Car Seat is a robust all-in-one car...
- REAR – FORWARD – BOOSTER SEATING: In rear-facing mode, it can protect infants from 5 to 40 pounds, in forward-facing...
- EXCLUSIVE LATCH TECHNOLOGY: The Evenflo Symphony Elite All-in-One Convertible Car Seat features an innovative SureLatch...
An excellently rated mid-range choice, the Evenflo Symphony Elite offers a wide weight range, easy installation and two cup holders. Choose this car seat for a balance of price and functionality.
Customers love the side-impact protection and reclining features of this all-in-one seat. However, some customers feel the bottom straps are too close together and should be adjustable for larger toddlers. It’s also a bulky car seat, so it isn’t practical for smaller vehicles.
Nuna PIPA Infant Car Seat
- Ergonomic and lightweight, with protective sun canopy
- Attaches to all Stokke strollersno adaptors needed
- Suitable from newborn to baby up to 32 inches / 32 lbs
Ultra comfortable and ultra safe, the Nuna PIPA infant car seat is a premium choice for your newborn infant. It’s stylish and comfortable and offers additional safety features unlike other, more affordable infant car seats.
Because it’s an infant seat, this car seat is far less versatile than convertible or all-in-one options. Consider this if you want the best combination of comfort and safety for your baby.
Graco SnugRide Click Connect 35 Infant Car Seat
- Ultra-lightweight infant car seat is easy to transport from the car to the stroller and everywhere in between
- Rear-facing newborn car seat helps protect infants from 4 - 35 pounds; and up to 32", making it an excellent first car...
- Click Connect system provides a one-step secure attachment between the rear facing car seat to all Graco Click Connect...
Affordable, practical and safe, the SnugRide is an excellent choice for an infant car seat. This seat uses the basic latch system to install a base, but the car seat conveniently clicks in and out of the base once installed.
A high-quality infant car seat is a great choice for easily removing your infant, particularly when sleeping. While this seat doesn’t offer the same luxury features as other infant car seats on this list, it’s a popular choice for parents on a budget.
UPPAbaby MESA Infant Car Seat
- NEW! 2018 MESA Infant Car Seat
- SMART Secure system installs in seconds
- Adjustable no-rethread headrest with integrated Side Impact Protection. Storage pockets for harness buckles
From the Merino wool to the easily adjustable harness, the MESA infant car seat is the pinnacle of luxury infant seats. Enjoy this high-end car seat that is both naturally fire retardant and extremely comfortable.
Customers love the stylish look and breathable wool that come with this unique car seat. However, it’s the most expensive car seat on the list and is only rated for infants. For this reason, it’s not a cost-effective option.
Britax B-Safe 35 Infant Car Seat
- Check out our all new B Safe 35 Infant Car Seat (B07BRMC7BY)
- Surrounded in safety: A layer of side impact protection, steel frame, and impact absorbing base
- Easy installation: Use Safe Center LATCH or built in seat belt lock offs to secure the infant car seat
A mid-range infant car seat with great features, the Britax B-Safe 35 uses an easy latch system that is far more convenient than the standard latch system used by most ISOFIX car seats. This car seat functions well with most vehicles and is reasonably lightweight and compact. It’s easy to clean, and customers love the overall quality by Britax.
However, it’s more expensive than the Graco SnugRide and doesn’t offer many additional features for its price.
Maxi-Cosi Mico Max 30 Infant Car Seat
- Rear-facing 4-30 pounds and up to 32 inches
- Lightest premium car seat in its class when compared to similarly priced infant car seats with the same weight range (as...
- Air Protect Superior Side Impact Protection
The ultimate in infant safety, the Maxi-Cosi uses a rebound bar, curved handle and great side-impact protection to keep your infant safe and secure. Choose this premium-priced car seat if you want nothing but the best in terms of safety for your newborn. It’s also a very stylish and lightweight option, so it’s perfect for carrying around town.
However, customers don’t like the handle adjustment feature or the large canopy on this car seat. It’s quite expensive for an infant-only seat as well.
1. Evenflo Triumph LX Convertible Car Seat
5 to 65 pounds
2. Graco 4Ever 4-In-1 Convertible Car Seat
4 to 120 pounds
3. Graco Size4Me 65 Convertible Car Seat
4 to 65 pounds
4. Safety 1st Grow and Go 3-In-1 Convertible Car Seat
5 to 100 pounds
5. Evenflo Symphony Elite All-In-One Convertible Car Seat
5 to 110 pounds
6. Nuna PIPA Infant Car Seat
4 to 32 pounds
7. Graco SnugRide Click Connect 35 Infant Car Seat
4 to 35 pounds
8. UPPAbaby MESA Infant Car Seat
4 to 35 pounds
9. Britax B-Safe 35 Infant Car Seat
4 to 35 pounds
10. Maxi-Cosi Mico Max 30 Infant Car Seat
4 to 30 pounds
From luxury to versatility, there are plenty of excellent ISOFIX car seats on the market today. Take a minute and compare your favorite options, and be sure to use the FAQ list to answer any questions you may have about ISOFIX car seats. Choose the UPPAbaby MESA for a luxury option or the Graco 4Ever if you want the most versatile choice. No matter which option you choose, you can be confident that an ISOFIX car seat will give your baby a safe ride.
Featured Image via Pexels